Probably known to most in this country for "Je T’aime.." and some particularly forward remarks to Whitney Houston, but there really is a whole lot more to Serge Gainsbourg. And if you’re looking for an introduction to the man, well Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited: a Tribute to Serge Gainsbourg probably isn’t it.
What you get here is a well-meaning tribute to Serge by some of his biggest fans on a release that commemorates his death fifteen years ago. Featured artists include Jarvis Cocker, Franz Ferdinand, Placebo, Portishead (first new recording in years) and Michael Stipe.
It sounds like an interesting album, well worth a listen. But if you’ve never heard any original Serge Gainsbourg material, may we recommend Initials SG as an excellent introduction to the iconic Frenchman.
For the full tracklisting of the album, read on.
1. A Song For Sorry Angel (Franz Ferdinand & Jane Birkin)
2. I Love You (Me Either) (Cat Power & Karen Elson)
3. I Just Came To Tell You That I’m Going (Jarvis Cocker & Kid Loco)
4. Anna (Portishead)
5. Requiem For A Jerk (Faultline, Brian Molko & Francoise Hardy)
6. L’Hotel (Michael Stipe)
7. Goodbye Emmanuelle (Tricky)
8. Lola R. For Ever (Marianne Faithful & Sly and Robbie)
9. Boomerang 2005 (Gonzales, Feist & Dani)
10. Boy Toy (Marc Almond & Trash Palace)
11. The Ballad of Melody Nelson (Placebo)
12. Just A Man With A Job (Just A Man With A Job)
13. I Call It Art
14. Those Little Things (Carla Bruni)