Here’s something you might not know – the 12-inch remix was invented by New York producer Tom Moulton in 1975. Since then, the extended remix has been the backbone of the club scene, giving some of the best grooves extra space to spread their wings, particularly in the late 70s/early 80s disco scene.
This 3CD collection – Extended Seventies – picks up some of the best early tracks, such as Chic’s Everybody Dance, Donna Summer’s 17-minute Love to Love You Baby and Edwin Starr’s Contact.
There’s also more obscure grooves like Cerrone’s Supernature and Hamilton Bohannon’s Let’s Start the Dance, plus a whole disc of extended new wave grooves, including Blondie’s Heart Of Glass, The Flying Lizards’ Money and Public Image Ltd’s Death Disco.
Probably hit and miss (make your mind up from the tracklisting to follow), but in terms of running time, excellent value for money. Available from May 15th.
1. Donna Summer – Love to Love you Baby
2. Chic – Everybody Dance
3. Diana Ross – Love Hangover
4. Heatwave – Boogie Nights
5. A Taste of Honey – Boogie Ooogie Ooogie
6. Edwin Starr – Contact
7. Cheryl Lynn – Got to Be Real
8. Third World – Now That We’ve Found Love
9. Anita Ward – Ring My Bell
1. Dan Hartman – Vertigo/Relight My Fire (feat Loleatta Hathaway)
2. Loose Joints – Is It All Over My Face
3. Cerrone – Supernature
4. Shalamar – Take That To The Bank
5. Gino Soccio – Dancer
6. MFSB featuring The Three Degrees – TSOP
7. Andrea True Connection – More, More More
8. Hamilton Bohannon – Let’s Start the Dance
9. Sugarhill Gang – Rappers Delight
1. Sparks – Beat the Clock (Long Version)
2. Ian Dury – Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick (Disco Version)
3. M – Pop Muzic (Long Version)
4. Blondie – Heart of Glass
5. Grace Jones – La Vie en Rose (Extended Mix – Tom Moulton)
6. Tubeway Army – Are Friends Electric?
7. Lene Lovich – Lucky Number (Slavic Dance Version)
8. The Normal – Warm Leatherette
9. The Flying Lizards – Money
10. The Motors – Airport
11. Public Image Ltd – Death Disco